Etiquetas

lunes, 17 de enero de 2011

Quotes about Darcy

Quotes about Darcy

On the grounds that one of the characters we talked about yesterday is Darcy, here we offer several quotes about Darcy that appear in the novel and show and support the description that we have made (you can see it clicking on “characters”)


“Mr Darcy looked just as he had been used to look in Herfordshire-paid his compliments, with his usual reserve, to Mr Collins, and whatever might be his feelings towards her friend, met her with every appearance of composure. Elizabeth merely curtseyed to him, without saying a world”

“I have faults, enough, but they are not, I hope, of understanding. My temper I dare not vouch for. It is, I believe, too little yielding-certainly too little for the convenience of the world. I cannot forget the follies and vices of others as soon as I ought, not their offences against myself. My feelings are nos puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost, is lost forever”. (Darcy)

"I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine” (Elizabeth about Darcy)

"But I can assure you," she added, "that Lizzy does not lose much by not suiting his fancy; for he is a most disagreeable, horrid man, not at all worth pleasing. So high and so conceited that there was no enduring him! He walked here, and he walked there, fancying himself so very great! Not handsome enough to dance with! I wish you had been there, my dear, to have given him one of your set-downs. I quite detest the man." (Mrs. Bennet about Mr. Darcy)

“I certainly have not the talent which some people possess- said Darcy-of conversing easily with those I have never seen before. I cannot catch their tone of conversation, or appear interested in their concerns, as I often see done”. (Darcy)

"She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me, I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me." (Mr Darcy about Elizabeth)

“My object then was to shew you, by every civility in my power, that I was not so mean as to resent the past, an I hoped to obtain your forgiveness, to lessen your-ill-opinion, by letting you see that your reproof had been attended to. How soon any other wishes introduced themselves I can hardly tell, but I believe in about half-an-hour after I had seen you” (Darcy to Elizabeth)

"Nothing is more deceitful -said Darcy- than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." (Darcy)

“What can be the meaning of this?- Said Charlotte- My dear Eliza, he must be in love with you, or he would never have called on us in the familiar way”. (Charlotte about Darcy)

“Your are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever” ( Darcy to Elizabeth)

“Hate you! I was angry, perhaps, at first, but my anger soon began to take a proper direction” (Elizabeth to Darcy)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario